PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

FHE on ABC!

8.22.2012

Okay. Here's the story.

On Monday of this week I got an email from ABC News. "Spam" I thought. But it wasn't.
It was from a lovely ABC news researcher who informed me she was doing a show on LDS life, now that mitt Romney is running for President, and had looked up Family Home Evening.  She came across my blog and wanted to do a phone interview.

We set up a phone call for Tuesday afternoon.  She was so nice and asked lots of questions about Family Home Evenings, our faith, our life as Latter-day Saints.  I was pretty at ease and well spoken. So much so that she asked if she might send a crew out the following day to film our family having Family Home Evening.  "Sure!" I said.  She let me know she would contact me Wednesday morning and let me know.


I wondered how we could ever do it.  We were leaving for a vacation to Utah on Thursday morning and hadn't even packed yet.  Our home is still in boxes.  I went to Facebook and asked any Ward members from our city if we could borrow their house.  A wonderful family contacted me right away and said we were welcome to use their home (thanks Burton family!!!).

Then I waited for the phone call. And waited and waited.  Around 2pm I assumed it wasn't happening.  I was leisurely strolling through Old Navy with my kids when the call came.   They wanted to film us. They would be there in 2 hours.

I bought a cute cardigan I have been eying at Old Navy, threw the kids in the car and headed home.  We busted out the new, un-touched school clothes and I made some outfits for the older girls and found a cute denim dress for Bianca.  Then I chose a lesson from the archives.  I ended up choosing a lesson from 2011. The Living Christ.

I printed it off. Grabbed my Gospel Art book and some crayons.  Put the kids in the car and off we went to our borrowed house.

Traffic between New York and Pennsylvania made the crew late, but we were finally all in the same place, setting up equipment, while I felt nervous.  First up was a one-on-one interview with me.



Lights. Camera. Action.

My interviewer was sweet, kind, friendly and a bit tough. She asked some questions that I was not expecting.   And remember the eloquence and ease which I had on the phone? Gone.  I stuttered. I stammered. I sweat.  But I did my best.

( the producer and interviewer )

Then our family gathered around our borrowed table and had our FHE on camera.  Our kids were great.  Ella read the scripture.  Evangeline led us in "I'm Trying to be like Jesus" and Bianca spit, growled and ripped off her shoes....she's two...what can you do?

We bore testimony. We had fun. It was good.

Afterwards I gave the producer a copy of the Book of Mormon to take home.

( Gary the light and sound guy )

I hope I did well and represented our faith with dignity.  If they show me wearing the Mickey Mouse ears you'll know the dignity is optional.

Watch our family tomorrow night (Thursday, August 23, 2012) on ABC WORLD NEWS at 6:30pm EST.



18 Way Righteous Comments:

Emilie said...

SO COOOOOOL!!! Can't wait to see it!!

Erica said...

WOW! How exciting!! I'll be watching it, for sure. Thanks so much for all of the great things you do! :o)

Emily Foley said...

That is so awesome! I'm setting the DVR right now!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

wow that's super awesome! I wish I had satellite still so I could watch it!

Missy said...

Wow! That is awesome! I'm putting it on DVR right now! I'm sure you did a great job.

Peg said...

How exciting! We will be watching....I may need an autograph!

Andrea J said...

Congrats! All of your efforts will add up to something great I am certain!

sarahlove said...

Go YOU!!!! :)

Emily Foley said...

Your eyebrows look fantastic.

Andi said...

Congrats Emily! You so deserve this national exposure! So happy for you and can't wait to see it tonight.

Michelle said...

Wow how exciting, congrats!

Bonnie said...

That's so awesome! Interesting it's on tonight because they are also doing a big story about Mormons on NBC's Rock Center with Brian Williams tonight. I'll be watching both!

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this site. It really has helped our FHE's!

Amber said...

Wow! I would be a nervous wreck! Can't wait to see it tonight. I'm sure you did great.

Stacey said...

Awesome!

Kerstin@TheRealHousewivesofIdaho.blogspot.com said...

Great Job!!!! What a neat experience.

Anonymous said...

I would love for you to finish the article of faith learning posters. I have 1-5. Did you do the rest and I missed them? I love them. Thanks!

Demarcus Family said...

I think you did amazing!!!! way to go!

Kathleen said...

How cool is that?!?!? I just watched and thought you looked awesome. Great job!! :)

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);