PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

2012 - Wk. 32: Celebrating Our Differences

8.11.2012


What You'll Need: scriptures, coloring page of a outdoor scene, a box of crayons,  coloring page from lesson, coloring tools.

You can also choose to download the pdf of LESSON 32 for easy printing. If you download, please leave a comment here on what you like about this lesson.
Scripture: "Our Heavenly Father loves His children. He hears the prayers of the humble and sincere of every nation, tongue, and people." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Opening Song: We Are Different (PCS #263)

Lesson:

ATTENTION ACTIVITY:  Click Here to print a coloring page for each child.  Pull out a box of crayons and tell them they can each only use one crayon to color their picture.  They can not share.  If they protest ask them...

- Why do you want to use more than one color?
- Why is having a lot of different colors better?

Read the following poem by Shane DeRolf
(from the book The Crayon Box that Talked)
The Crayon Box That Talked
by Shane DeRolf

While walking in a toy store, the day before today,
I overheard a crayon box, with many things to say…

‘I don’t like Red!’ said Yellow and Green said, ‘Nor do I!
And no one here likes Orange, but no one knows just why.’
‘We are a box of crayons that doesn’t get along.’
Said Blue to all the others, ‘Something here is wrong!’

Well, I bought that box of crayons and took it home with me,
And laid out all the colors so the crayons could all see.

They watched me as I colored with Red and Blue and Green,
And Black and White and Orange and every color in between…
They watched as Green became the grass and Blue became the sky,
The Yellow sun was shining bright on White clouds drifting by,

Colors changing as they touched becoming something new.
They watched me as I colored. They watched till I was through.
And when I’d finally finished I began to walk away.
And as I did, the crayon box had something more to say…

‘I do like Red!’ said Yellow and Green said, ‘So do I!
And, Blue, you were terrific so high up in the sky!’
‘We are a box of crayons each one of us unique.
But when we get together the picture is complete'.
Last week we talked about how we are all children of our Heavenly Father and so we are very much the same.  He wants us to treat everyone with kindness and love, no matter what they look like. 

Today we are going to talk about the many things that are great about our differences.

LOOKING DIFFERENT MAKES US SPECIAL

Everyone looks different and we are each beautiful in our own way.  No one is exactly like you and that makes every person special.  Freckles, hair color,  height, weight and everything else that makes us unique is part of our beauty.

- Tell each member of your family one of their physical traits which makes them unique and beautiful.

DIFFERENT TALENTS MAKE THE WORLD BETTER

Each of us has different talents.  Some people play the piano or another instrument. Some are good at creating art. Some people are great listeners and good friends to others.   When Heavenly Father gives us different talents, and we use those talents, we can make life more interesting, fun and we can help and strengthen each other.

- Tell each member of your family one of their talents which makes them unique and contributes to the happiness of others.

DIFFERENT BELIEFS ARE FUN TO LEARN ABOUT

Some people go to our same church and believe the same things we do, but a lot of people go to other churches and believe differently than we do. We can learn about their beliefs. It is fun!  Having friends from other faiths and backgrounds makes life more fun and helps us realize that there are good people everywhere.  We should be friends with everyone, even if they don't believe the same things we do. We should never say that their beliefs are wrong.

- Talk about a family friend or relative that is not a member of your faith and share all the reasons you love them.

When we realize that everyone being different is a wonderful thing it helps us see beauty in and appreciate everyone for exactly who they are.  That also helps us feel happy about the way God made us.

Bear your testimony about celebrating our differences.  Share positive experiences you have had with people of different backgrounds, faiths and ethnicity.  Bear testimony that God has made us different for a reason and each of us is loved by Him for exactly who we are.

(For tips on sharing your testimony please click here.)

Practice Song: If you are teaching your family the AUGUST Song of the Month, go over the words and music with your family.

Activity: Symbols of Faith Coloring Page
Click Here to download.

8 Way Righteous Comments:

Pam Miller said...

Thanks so much for these fun lesson, my kids are loving them, and me too!!

Ginger said...

This will be a great lesson for one of my children in particular. We have recently moved to an area with many fewer LDS families than the last two states we resided in. I like the different religion aspects of this lesson, and that God loves all people.
Thanks so much!

Chapman Family said...

What a fun blog! We are going to do this for FHE tonight. Perfect for right before school! Thank you!!

Sarah said...

thank you so much for your lessons! we look forward to them every week. they make our fhe so much better. are you still going to be doing the article of faith printouts?? we have been using them faithfully and i have only seen you do #1-5. my 4-year-old LOVES them. please tell me you will still do them :)

AlpineFleur said...

Thank you again for your fabulous lessons. And I agree with Sarah, your AoF printables have helped both my kids learn their Articles of Faith and have aided in learning the songs as well. I can't thank you enough!

Jenni said...

Thanks so much for your lessons, I come here every week for my FHE lessons for my four small children. They are perfect, not too long and you are able to explain some difficult lessons in ways my children can understand. Thanks again.

Erika Sullivan said...

Thanks for the lesson! My kids have relatives who aren't members of the church and I think this will help me remind them that not everyone is exactly like us, and that's ok. I think it also goes well with Elder Uchtdorf's recent talk about how we are all different and we need diversity in our lives.

Kathi-Ann said...

I used this lesson tonight with my kids and it went very well. Thank you!

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);