PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

2011 - Wk 43: The Holy Ghost

10.22.2011

What You'll Need: scriptures, Holy Ghost Poster, GAK 234: Jesus Shows His Wounds, a familiar object and a bag to put it in, Holy Ghost coloring page, coloring tools.

You can also choose to download the pdf of LESSON 43 for easy printing. If you download, please leave a comment here on what you like about this lesson.

Scripture:  “...the Holy Ghost is the [way] God and his Son, Jesus Christ, communicate with men [and women] upon the earth.”  ( Elder LeGrand Richards )

Opening Song: The Holy Ghost - (PCS #105)

Lesson:

The Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead. But Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have a body you can feel. The Holy Ghost is a Spirit.  He has no body.  He helps us in many ways.  The Holy Ghost has three main jobs.

(show Holy Ghost Poster. CLICK HERE to download.  Reference it throughout the lesson)


1. THE HOLY GHOST COMFORTS US

- When you are hurt or sad, how does your mother or father comfort you and make you feel better?

(show GAK 234: Jesus Shows His Wounds)



Jesus knew that the disciples, his helpers, would be sad when he died, so he told them that he would ask Heavenly Father to send a comforter to help them not feel so bad (see John 14:16–17).

This comforter is the Holy Ghost, and he can comfort us, too. When we are sad or upset, Heavenly Father will help us by sending the Holy Ghost to comfort us.

2. THE HOLY GHOST HELPS US CHOOSE THE RIGHT

Read aloud 2 Ne. 32:5 - If ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.

The Holy Ghost loves us and helps us choose the right. The Holy Ghost helps us know the difference between right and wrong by giving us a good, warm feeling when we do something right and a sad feeling when we do something wrong.

Elder Craig A. Cardon of the Seventy told a story of when he was a little boy and how the Holy Ghost helped him know what was right and wrong...
In my kindergarten class we had a box of toys, and during playtime we could choose a toy to play with. The most treasured of all the toys was a carved wooden train with wooden wheels and a caboose. All the children in my class always wanted to play with the train and caboose.

One day I thought of a way I could play with that caboose without sharing with the other children. I slipped the caboose into my lunch pail and took it home with me. As I did that, I felt bad inside. At age five, I knew I was doing something wrong.

At home, I hid in the corner of our hall closet to play with the little caboose. I did this for a few days. Then one day my mom opened the closet door and saw me playing with the caboose. She asked me about it, and I told her. She and my father then began to teach me. They helped me understand that I felt bad because I had done something wrong. The Holy Ghost was prompting me to do the right thing. They told me that I needed to return the caboose.

Mom walked with me back to school, and watched me as I said sorry to the teacher and gave her the caboose. The teacher told me the consequences, and for the next few days I did not get to play with the toys. But even with the discipline, I felt good inside.

- What did Elder Cardon do that was wrong?
- How did he feel inside when he made a bad choice?
- After Elder Cardon took the caboose back how did he feel?

( Have the children share times when they have felt a good, warm feeling because they have made a right choice or helped someone. Help them recognize the influence of the Holy Ghost )

3. THE HOLY GHOST HELPS US KNOW WHEN SOMETHING IS TRUE

(Show the children a bag with an object in it. Tell the children that there is something in the bag, but do not show them the object)

- Is there something in this bag?

Explain that even though the children cannot see the object in the bag, they know it is there because you told them it was there. Even though few people ever see Heavenly Father and Jesus, the Holy Ghost can help us know that Heavenly Father and Jesus are real and that they love us. Explain that this knowledge is called a testimony. Sometimes people bear their testimonies in Church meetings and tell us that they know that Jesus lives. The Holy Ghost has helped them know this is true.

Bear your testimony about times in your life when you have heard and followed the Spirit's promptings and the blessings that came from it. Share how the Spirit feels when it speaks to your heart.

(For tips on sharing your testimony please click here.)

Practice Song: If you are teaching your family the OCTOBER Song of the Month, go over the words and music with your family.

Activity: Choose from the following activities as they best suit your family.

LISTEN, LISTEN GAME
- Designate one person and "IT" and another as the "HELPER".
- Choose a small object to hide.  Have the person who is "it" leave the room. The helper then hides the object.
- Have you "it" person come back into room and put on loud music, turn on the television and have two family members pretend to have an argument.
- The helper whispers direction to find the hidden object.  Ask family members why the "it" person can't get help from the "Helper".
- One by one turn down the distractions.  Continue to whisper clues on the object's location until the "it" person finds it.
- Discuss the distractions that sometime hinder us from hearing the Spirit whisper to us.

COLORING PAGE
(CLICK HERE to download) 

16 Way Righteous Comments:

Nicole said...

I did this FHE tonight (we have soccer on Mondays) and it was great! I am so happy to have found your blog-it is such a huge help to me! Thank you for all your work!!!

Heather said...

I just discovered your blog through pinterest. What a wonderful resource for LDS families! I am excited to utilize your FHE ideas and your coloring pages! Thank you for sharing all of this!

Hi, I'm Hannah. said...

Thanks so much for all of the work you are putting in for so many of us! I found you through Pinterest too and have been using your blog every week! THANKS!

Leah Marie said...

I just discovered this blog and I'm so excited! Great kid friendly lessons!

Amanda said...

Another great lesson. Thanks!

Michelle Rowe said...

This is an awesome lesson, as usual. I can't wait to play the game at the end, my kiddos will love it!

The G's said...

I'm so grateful for you and all of the hard work you have put into this site!! It's such a life-saver and has given me tons of ideas to expand our FHEs. Thank you TONS for allowing us to download "freebies" and giving us awesome advice!!!

Andrea said...

The visual is so great for young kids! I'm doing this lesson tonight! THANK YOU

Alison said...

We were really hoping for a lesson with a train story because we're doing a train activity for FHE tonight. Our Little Man will love this! We always love the coloring activity, and I think this will be a great introduction to the Holy Ghost!

Grandma said...

Our son,38, and the father of 5, ages 4-13 passed away suddenly of a heart attack in Jan '12. Since then my husband and I have taken our turn in teaching the F.H.E lesson along with the rest of the family. Thank you for this wonderful resource. I'm sure we will use it often.

WenRan said...

Thanks for this fab lesson...perfect for helping prepare my daughter for her baptism!

Tricia said...

Thank you so much for all the time you put into creating this lesson! I appreciate it sssooo much! You're amazing!

Rebecca said...

Thanks! I'm excited to try this lesson tonight. Up until now we have been using the nursery manual for our lessons...this one will be great!

The Bruces said...

love this thank you so much!

sam draper said...

Love this blog! Will visit often!

Sharon Johnson said...

I downloaded the poster to use for a baptism talk on the Holy Ghost. This will be a great visual for the kids. Thank you!

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);