What You'll Need: GAK 502: Salt Lake Temple, Inside the Temple printable, coloring tools, string, hole punch, card stock or thin cardboard.
You can CLICK HERE to download the pdf of this lesson for easy printing. If you download, please leave a comment here on what you like about this lesson.
Quote: "When you come to the temple you will love your family with a deeper love than you have ever felt before. The temple is about families." - Richard H. Winkel (of the former Second Quorum of the Seventy)
Opening Song: I Love to See the Temple (PCS #95)
- Have you ever seen a temple lighted at night or walked on the temple grounds during the day? What was it like?
- Do we have a picture of a temple in our home? Where is it? Which Temple is it?
- How do you feel when you see a temple?
Today we are going to talk about what Temples are and why they are so very special.
What is a Temple?
(show GAK 502: Salt Lake Temple)
Temples are called houses of the Lord because they are the most sacred (or special to Heavenly Father) structures on the earth. Throughout history, the Lord has commanded His people to build temples. They are holy places where we make sacred promises with God.
What do we do in the Temple?
(show Inside the Temple printable - click here to download)
1. We we are taught about the purpose of life, the mission and Atonement of Jesus Christ, and Heavenly Father’s plan for His children. In the endowment ceremony we make covenants (or special promises) with Heavenly Father that prepare us to live with him again.
2. We are sealed together as husband and wife and as families. When husband and wives are married in the Temple it means their families will be together in Heaven even after they die.
3. We do ordinances for the dead. Heavenly Father has told us that everyone needs to be baptised and receive other ordinances to live with Him again. But some people have never heard of Jesus Christ and they lived their life and died without ever being baptized. In the Temple we can do baptisms and other ordinances for them so, if they choose, they can live with Heavenly Father in Heaven too.
Can everyone go to the Temple?
Yes. Heavenly Father wants everybody to be able to attend the Temple. First, we must show we are worthy.
Imagine that you were playing outside in the mud all day. Rolling around. Making mud pies. Getting very dirty. Do you think Mom would let you come into the house and sit on the living room couch with your muddy clothes on? Why not? (Because the house is clean and I am dirty).
The Temple is like Heavenly Father's clean house. When we sin (or break commandments) we become dirty and we need to repent to be clean again. So we must be totally clean to go into the Temple because it is God's house. We also need to have a belief in the principles of the Gospel.
Each day as you choose to live the commandments, keep your baptismal covenants, and try to be more like Jesus Christ, you are preparing to go to the temple. If you are pure and clean when you enter the temple, you will feel His Spirit. The temple will always be a place of love and beauty for you
Bear your testimony about temples. Explain that the only way families can have the blessing of being together forever is to be sealed in the temple. Bear your testimony about the blessings of temple marriage and the happiness that can come to the children if they prepare to go to the temple.