PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

2011 - Wk 24: Our Words

6.11.2011

What You'll Need: scriptures, printed activity, coloring tools, scissors.

You can CLICK HERE to download the pdf of this lesson for easy printing. If you download, please leave a comment here on what you like about this lesson.

Scripture: Job 6:25 - How forcible are right words!

Opening Song: If the Savior Stood Beside Me - Verse 2 (click here for sheet music and words)

If the Savior stood beside me,
Would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel?
Would I speak more rev’rently
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?


Lesson:

Heavenly Father has given us a great gift to be able to speak to each other. Words are very powerful.  We can use words to help others, bear our testimony, say 'i love you', tell a joke, make others feel happy, say please and thank you and many other good things.  But words can also be used to make others feel unhappy, call names, say unkind things, say bad words and other bad things.

Because words are so powerful we need to learn to use them carefully.

Bad Words

We should not call other people names. Names can hurt people's feelings very badly. They can make a heart feel sad and make others believe they are not a Child of God.  Sometimes people make us feel very angry., They do things that hurt us or treat us unkindly, but we should never call them names.

We should never use swear words. Swear words make us and others feel bad and offend our Heavenly Father.

Caitlin is 11 years old and lives in Kentucky. She shared this story of how she helped a friend make better choices about her words.

"One day, my teacher gave me and my best friend a social studies assignment. While we were working together, I noticed my friend taking the Lord’s name in vain. I knew Heavenly Father would want me to do something about this. I asked her to use nicer language. After that day, my friend didn’t use the Lord’s name in vain anymore. I am glad I chose the right and set a good example for my friend."

Good Words

We should use words to make others feel good.  We can tell others what we like about them. Share our testimonies and thank those who help us.  Using good words makes us feel good inside and makes others feel good when they are around us.

Bear your testimony about the power of words. Share a time when the kind words someone spoke to you uplifted you or made you feel good. Explain that each of us has the power to make otehrs happy using our words. 

(For tips on sharing your testimony please click here.)

Practice Song: If you are teaching your family the JUNE Song of the Month, go over the words and music with your family.

Activity:

For Young Kids: Good Words Heart Puzzle
CLICK HERE to download.
includes full instructions.

For Older Kids: Words Quiz
CLICK HERE to download

9 Way Righteous Comments:

Holly or James said...

I love to visit fhe for a year each monday I don't know what lesson to teach. I think I need to stick with these every week! Thanks for the great ideas!

Nicole said...

I just found your blog and this lesson was perfect for fhe tonight. Thanks for making this available to everyone!

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

Thanks for your time with these lessons, it is nice to see what others are doing. Love the heart puzzle.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! We're always looking for ways to help our oldest (on the autism spectrum) to learn social/emotional lessons through the gospel. This month's lessons are perfect!

Anonymous said...

We need a lesson like this since we have had some very unkind words being said at our house lately. Thanks so much, the song is perfect!

Carrie said...

This lesson is fabulous for our needs right now! I found your blog on Pinterest - it is quickly becoming a favorite of mine!

Anonymous said...

I really struggle putting FHE lessons together for my young children, but yours are wonderful... Simple and fun for everyone! My 5 year old has been needing some extra help remembering to speak kindly and learning to be considerate of others' feelings. This lesson set is an answer to a prayer!

NJ said...

Thank you for this lesson. I love the puzzle idea. I think it's a great reminder for us all to choose our words carefully!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This is exactly what we needed :)

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);