PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

2011 - Wk 01: Nephi's Courage

1.01.2011

What You'll Need: scriptures, GAK picture 301: Lehi’s Family Leaving Jerusalem, printed activity and coloring tools, yarn, hole punch and scissors.

You can CLICK HERE to download the pdf of this lesson for easy printing.

Scripture: 1 Nephi 3:7 - I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Opening Song: Nephi's Courage (PCS #120 )

Lesson:

The scriptures are full of stories of men and women who showed great courage. They chose the right even when their lives were in danger. They were strong and faithful to their beliefs when they had to stand alone. They kept going when it would have been easy to give up.

When we read the scriptures often, the stories of these brave men and women live in our minds and hearts and help to give us courage.

(show GAK picture 301: Lehi’s Family Leaving Jerusalem)


Lehi and his family were commanded by God to leave Jerusalem.  After they left, God told them to return and get the brass plates from the wicked King Laban.  Laman and Lemuel complained that it was too hard a task, but Nephi said, “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”

Nephi had courage, and he had faith in Jesus Christ. He knew that the Lord would help him, and he was ready to do his part.   Nephi and his brothers went to their old house in Jerusalem to gather the gold, silver, and other precious possessions they left behind. They wanted to trade their riches with Laban for the plates. When Laban saw the great size of the fortune before him, he ordered his servants to kill the brothers so that he could steal their riches.

The brothers left and hid in a cave. Laman and Lemuel were mad and started beating Nephi and Sam with sticks when an angel appeared and told them to stop.  The angel said,  "Behold ye shall go up to Jerusalem again, and the Lord will deliver Laban into your hands.”

They went back and Nephi “crept into the city and went forth towards the house of Laban.”

Nephi said that he “was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.” As he approached Laban’s house, Nephi found him on the ground, drunk. He noticed Laban’s gleaming sword and withdrew it from its sheath. The Spirit directed Nephi to kill Laban, but Nephi didn't want to.  He had never killed anyone, but the Spirit told him it was okay because Laban was so wicked. So Nephi killed Laban.

Nephi put on Laban’s garments, armor, and sword and headed for Laban’s treasury.  He got one of Laban's servants to lead him to the brass plates.  They were able to get the plates without getting caught.

Because Nephi had the courage and faith to do what the Lord asked him many generations had the scriptures (brass plates) to read.  We can each look up to Nephi and try and have courage the way he did. 

A modern apostle, Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said,  “(Courage) is a positive, active characteristic...It gives us hope by helping us realize that the righteous suffer no failure except in giving up and no longer trying.”

Bear your testimony about a time in your life when you needed to have courage and the Lord blessed you, just as He blessed Nephi.

(For tips on sharing your testimony please click here.)

Practice Song: If you are teaching your family the JANUARY Song of the Month, go over the words and music with your family.

Activity: Choose from the following activities as they best suit your family.

For Young Children: Courage of Nephi Booklet
CLICK HERE to download


For Older Children: Brass Plates Maze. (from the Children's Friend Magazine)
CLICK HERE to download

21 Way Righteous Comments:

Pamela and Austin Matthews (and Family) said...

Thanks again! I took the little booklet for the younger kids and turned it into a larger, 8.5 x 11 book (one picture per page). My kids are so young (2 and 1) that I think these larger pages will really help them understand the story better. Thanks for all your hard work! FHE is a snap now! : )

Jaimee said...

I just recently found your blog and am excited to follow along with your FHE plans! Thank you for all your hard work.

lorelie said...

I'm so excited to have found your blog! Thanks so much for all of your hard work putting this together so that the rest of us can have an easier time actually DOING FHE.

Rachey-Foo said...

i found this thru a friend on FB. i am planning on using this for our family this year. thank you and I'm excited to post our progress. :)

Liz B said...

I'm so glad you're doing this again this year! We love your lessons, and you put so much hard work into doing it. (Especially since you aren't busy enough already.)

So thank you, thank you. You are amazing!

Heather J said...

All I can say is THANK YOU!!

jen said...

I just found your blog and I am so excited for it. Thank you so much for the hard work you put in to it!

Lucy said...

I can't thank you enough for sharing all this hard work you have done. I used your lesson last night with my family and all of them enjoyed it. It wasn't frufru and I love that. Thank you again. I am in your debt! I am so glad my niece Lolly shared your blog with me.

jdm said...

Brilliant Em, really.
We had a great FHE last night thanks to you!

Hyrum and Stacey Taft said...

I am so glad I found your blog, we had a great first FHE of the year last night! My kids really enjoyed it. Thanks!

Julie said...

found you, Thank you added you to my side bar...we are also hoping for 100% this year!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you thanks for the amazing FHE lessons. We are making it a priority this year for our kids (ages 5 & 3) to learn the scripture stories not just read them. Your lessons are a huge help in doing this!

Jacki said...

I'm doing your fhe lesson plans a few months behind, but thank you so much for the great plans! I'm telling everyone I know about your site whenever Family Home Evening comes up!

Kimberly Porter said...

Wow! What an amazing blog! You have put so much effort and work into this. I am excited to get started with your ideas! I have kids 5, 3, and newborn as well so this is perfect for me, too!

Amber said...

Thank you!

Shan said...

Love this!

Andrea said...

This is lesson #2 I've used from your amazing blog! THANK YOU!!

Rebecca & Jeff said...

Love this lesson! Thank you so much!

Tawnya said...

Thank you so much for these great lessons! My girls love learning about Nephi.

Patti D said...

Did this FHE tonight with my 4 and 1 year old. It was great. I've used a few of your lessons and they are just wonderful. I just print and gather the few materials I may need. My oldest is far more engaged in FHE now that I'm using your lessons. Thanks so much! Making my life a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

I want to tell you that I did not like how you described the reason Nephi killed Laban as "it was because he was wicked." This teaches it is ok to kill any wicked people. Nephi killed Laban because God told him to. He said that it was better for one man to die, then for an entire nation to not have belief in Christ and not know anything about Christ. I want to make sure my children know the real reason and not a reason that will confuse them. That Nephi was following a direct command from God. Thanks...

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);