PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

2010 - Wk 40 : Prayer

10.03.2010

What You'll Need: scriptures, Four Parts of Prayer chart, Gospel Art Kit picture #117 - Daniel in the Lions’ Den, printed activities and coloring tools.

You can also choose to download the PDF file of this lesson for easy printing. If you download, please leave a comment here on what you like about this lesson.
Scripture: 2 Nephi 32:9 - "...ye must pray always, and not faint."

Opening Song: A Child's Prayer (PCS #12 )

Lesson:

If Mommy went on a long vacation and you couldn't see her for a long time would you miss her?  How could you talk to her while she was gone?

Before we came to earth we lived with our Heavenly Father.  He sent us here to learn, grow and gain a body.  He is our father and misses us.

• How can we talk to Heavenly Father while we are on the earth?  (through prayer)

There are four parts of a prayer...
(display the following chart)


First, we open by calling our Heavenly Father by name.
Second, we thank Heavenly Father for our many blessings.
Third, we ask for any special blessings we or others may need at this time.
Fourth, we close in the name of Jesus Christ and say Amen.

This pattern is one we can use for the rest of our lives to address our Heavenly Father in prayer and is based on the way Jesus Christ taught us to pray in the scriptures.
 
Sing or say the words to the second verse of “I Pray in Faith” (Children’s Songbook, p. 14) several times. Have the children hold up one finger for each of the four special things we say when we pray.

I begin by saying “Dear Heavenly Father”;
I thank him for blessings he sends;
Then humbly I ask him for things that I need,
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Let's review...
• How do we begin our prayers?
• What could we thank Heavenly Father for?
• What could we ask Heavenly Father for?
• How do we end our prayers?

Show Gospel Art Kit picture #117, Daniel in the Lions’ Den.


Tell the story from Daniel 6. Read aloud the first part of verse 22 to explain why Daniel was not hurt while he was in the lions’ den.

Explain that Daniel wanted to pray because it was a commandment from Heavenly Father and also because he wanted to thank Heavenly Father for his blessings.

• What did the king do because Daniel prayed? (See Daniel 6:16.)

• What happened to Daniel in the lions’ den? (See Daniel 6:22.)

• How do you know that Heavenly Father listened to Daniel’s prayer? (See Daniel 6:23.)

Bear your testimony about Tell of a time when Heavenly Father listened to your prayers.  Share how thankful you are that we can pray to Heavenly Father, and assure them that Heavenly Father listens to us when we pray.

(For tips on sharing your testimony please click here.)


Practice Song: If you are teaching your family the October Song of the Month, go over the words and music with your family.

Activity: Choose from the following activities as they best suit your family.

For Younger Children: Prayer Maze (click to download)



For Older Children: Prayer Word Search (click to download)


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
In return for providing you with free FHE plans, I request that you add comments on your Year of FHE experiences to encourage others. Feedback on lesson plans, photos of your family and stories from your FHE are so inspiring! See CONTACT button for email instructions.

28 Way Righteous Comments:

Nurture Mama said...

This is the perfect lesson on prayer that our family needs this week!

I just recently discovered this blog and I love it. Your lesson plans are great and appropriate for my two young daughters. I used your "Honoring your Parents" lesson #38 last week. I've got a post about that coming up on my blog on Tuesday, giving credit to you for a fabulous resource for FHE. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work, and I know I'll be back for more.

-Kristi :)

Nurture Mama said...

This is the perfect lesson on prayer that our family needs this week!

I just recently discovered this blog and I love it. Your lesson plans are perfect for my 2 young girls. Last week I used "Honoring Your Parents" #38 and it went over well. I've got a post about it coming up on my blog this week on Tuesday, with a link to you and your fabulous resource for FHE. Thanks so much for sharing all of your hard work.

-Kristi :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I just found out your site and I'm really excited to try this lesson with my family tomorrow! Thanks for all of your work
ale

Rebecca said...

I am going to use this lesson for fhe tonight. Thank you so much! Often times I just skip the lesson on Monday nights because I have no idea what to do. This site will really help my family learn more about the gospel and bond together. Thank you for all your efforts!

Maggie said...

Thank you!! I just found this blog today and I'm so excited! I'm going to teach the lesson you posted on Queen Esther. I'm so thrilled to have found this resource!!

caseyglo said...

Great lesson and I love how you put a theme to each month and then build on that. I love your site and hope I can add to it.

Jared and Cherie said...

Thank you so much! My son LOVED the maze and it really was such a great lesson. He just turned 3 and that was the first time he'd heard Daniel and the Lion's den and he was enthralled. Thank you for all you do :)

Jessica said...

Love this blog! We sang the verse about Daniel from Follow the Prophet when we talked about Daniel in the Lions Den. We also had everyone in our family name something they can thank Heavenly Father for and a blessing they can ask for. My daughter loves mazes right now so that part was perfect!

RyerseCrew said...

Thank you for this lesson! I will be using part of this with my primary activity. It's so nice that you have this blog. I love it.

TRICIA said...

great lesson. my only suggestion would be to have a prayer lesson that talks about the importance of using proper words in prayers like thee, thine. Many adults in the church could use this reminder!

XOXO said...

I'm having problems when I download the "4 parts of prayer". The words don't show up.

Brittany said...

This lesson was perfect for my 2 and 3 year olds. Thank your for all your time and effort. You have really made doing FHE weekly, possible for a busy family!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. It is a very cute lesson and adaptable for my young kiddos.

Kristen said...

Awesome!!! Great for my five year-old!

shipley said...

thank you for this. i love how clear it makes teaching prayer to young children.

Anonymous said...

These lessons are SO AWESOME! I had to have a password to download this one ... :(. I copied and pasted it instead, so I made it work. YAY!

Rebecca & Jeff said...

Love everything about this lesson and it has come at the perfect time! Thank you so much! My son will especially love the maze.

Laura said...

I LOVE that you include the activity pages. Downloading was a little difficult this time, did you switch where we download them from? I had to download a program (ilivid?) that I've never heard of, then I could download your documents. However, ilivid seems to have messed with my browser so that my start-up page is different. Did I really need to download ilivid or is there another way to get your fhe lessons?

Kelli said...

I've been working hard to have FHE with our little family, but as my children are still pretty young attention span can be a problem. Your FHE plans are helpful because they can be easily adapted to work with my small children, thank you so much!

Tiffany Johnson said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this website. It's so nice to have help with FHE and to have it laid out a bit more simple. Thank you!

Bastian Family said...

Thank you so much for this lesson! My kids struggle with how to say prayers even though they have been taught so this is a great reminder. I am really excited to re-teach how to pray!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great lesson. I look forward to sharing it with my family this family home evening!!

Catherine Glazner said...

Loved the lesson just having a really hard time trying to download the lesson with/from 4share. I don't know how to download it from there without having to become a member using my social media or paying for a membership fee. Does someone know how to download it?

Jenifer Morris said...

I am having difficutly downloading the whole image of the 4 parts of prayer. Is there anyway that you could maybe email me a pdf?
Thanks

Sarah said...

Instead of the activity listed, we are going to make prayer rocks.

Tiffanie Overson said...

I am new to your site and love it!! I am re-motivated to have weekly FHE with a house full of children. Your lessons are geared for all ages and as a single mom, I really appreciate that.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great lessons. The extra coloring sheets, mazes, and word searches are also amazing. Thanks!

Haylee said...

I'm going to use this tomorrow night. It is simple and perfect. Thank you!

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);