PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

2010 - Wk 20: Baptism

5.17.2010

What You'll Need: scriptures, GAK #208 "John The Baptist Baptising Jesus", download coloring page and art supplies, a tall glass or vase filled with water, red food coloring, liquid bleach in an unmarked glass and a stirring tool

You can also choose to download the Microsoft Word Doc of this lesson for easy printing. If you download, please leave a comment here on what you like about this lesson.

Scripture: We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Article of Faith 4).

Opening Song: “When Jesus Christ Was Baptized” (PCS #102 )

Lesson:

This month we have talked about steps to returning to our Father in Heaven. The first step was FAITH, the second was REPENTANCE. Baptism is the third step we need to take to return to our Father in Heaven.

Being baptised means you go into water with a Priesthood holder. You are wearing beautiful white clothes and so is he. The priesthood holder says a special prayer and lowers you into the water and pulls you back up again. It is very fast, but it is also very important. When we are baptised our sins wash away and we are ready to become members of the Church.

Show GAK #208 "John The Baptist Baptising Jesus"




Jesus Christ showed us how important it was by being baptized himself. Even though Jesus was perfect, and never made any mistakes, he still wanted us to be able to follow his example by being baptized just like he was.

When you are eight years old, you can be baptized. Right now, you should be getting ready for when you turn eight years old and can be baptized. What are some things we can do right now to prepare to be baptized?

1. Believe in and learn about Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father.

• Why should we learn about Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father?

• Where can we learn about them?

2. Pray to Heavenly Father.

• How can praying help us be ready for baptism?

3. Be forgiving and love others.

• What happens when we forgive?

• How can we show our love for others?

4. Choose the right every day.

• What are some ways we can choose the right?

5. Read or listen to scripture stories.

• How has studying the scriptures helped you?

When we are baptized we make covenants (promises) with Heavenly Father. We promise to obey his commandments, forgive others, and follow Jesus Christ. In return, he accepts us into the Church and promises to guide and help us.

Bear your testimony about your own baptism and how you felt on that day.

(For tips on sharing your testimony please click here.)


Practice Song: If you are teaching your family the May Song of the Month, go over the words and music with your family.

Activity:


I. Coloring Page
Click here to download the following color page with steps that will help us prepare for our own baptism.





II. Washing Away Sins

You'll need:
- a tall glass or vase filled with water
- red food coloring
- liquid bleach in an unmarked glass.
- a stirring tool

Show the children the vase of clear water. Tell them it represents them before their baptism...that it is clean and pure. Then talk about various mistakes. For each mistake, drop one drop of food coloring into the clean water until it is pink. Then talk about the water now, how it is no longer clean and pure. Then pour in the bleach, symbolizing the power of baptism and stir the water until it becomes clean again.

Now repeat the process with the clean water symbolizing them AFTER baptism. We still make mistakes and become unclean. But we can repent and when we take the sacrament each week, we renew our baptismal covenants with Heavenly Father and can become clean again.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In return for providing you with free FHE plans, I request that you add comments on your Year of FHE experiences to encourage others. Feedback on lesson plans, photos of your family and stories from your FHE are so inspiring! See CONTACT button for email instructions.

21 Way Righteous Comments:

Kari said...

Thank you very much for another great FHE lesson. I appreciate all of your work. My girls ask almost every night if it's family night!

Sharesa Larsen said...

I am loving these lessons and want to thank-you so much for all your hard work!

Natalie said...

Thank you so so much for your FHE lessons! This is the first year we've been able to hold Family Home Evening every Monday and it's all because of your wonderful lessons. My kids always look forward to family night.

stevie kay said...

I think I was a little short on bleach and a little heavy on the food coloring because mine only ended up pink instead of "clean." We just extended the lesson to say that we have to repent fully and the right way to become totally clean :-)

Whitney said...

I love this idea. Tonight we are having a recent convert family over for FHE to show them how easy it is to implement in their busy lives. This will be such a great tool for them. I love this lesson and how it complements what the kids are learning in primary. This months theme was based around the fourth article of faith. Well done!!

J & L Bennett Family said...

I am a grandma with no children at home. My assignment in my ward is to give FHE ideas in our ward's monthly newsletter. After seeing your blog, I ask myself, why should I reinvent the wheel? You truly must go to so much work because I know how much time I spend for our ward newsletter ideas that I call "Home Tight with Family Night." If it's okay with you, I will give your blog address in my next newsletter article.

I also thought you might want to view my blog even though it is not nearly as masterful as yours. (jlbennettfamily.blogspot.com) I try to give ideas to help families interact in positive ways.

I am sorry to hear about your computer. Isn't that the way of it? If there is a good thing, it seems that pitfalls come along to discourage one from persevering. I know ever since I have been working on my blog faithfully, my computer has had issues. I am praying for it and for you. Best wishes. I wish I could give you a new computer. That would solve a lot of people's worries of "what will I do now for FHE?"

Anonymous said...

I have to give a talk at a little girls baptism, and this lesson(and activity) is perfect.

Thank you,
Daniel

Kathleen said...

I just wanted to say thanks for putting all these lessons together. My daughter is getting baptized this Sat and, even though she's been preparing for it for a while now, this is perfect for us to talk about it and prepare as a family. THANKS!!

Freddie Dawn said...

This is site is my go to site for FHE inspiration. Your work is amazing and you have done so much in helping people to hold regular FHE. Thank you so much, and your lessons are perfect for younger kids. I appreciate it!

Sara said...

Totally awesome - my daughter is working on a faith in God requirement and we downloaded this and the sacrament one. Thank you very VERY much! We LOOOOOOVE you (my 6 year old son thinks you are totally cool and awesome!). Thank you!!!!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Thanks SO much Emilie! My Little Man's cousin has been talking a lot about baptism lately, so I thought we'd talk more about it tonight for Family Night. I think we're going to show the "Jesus is baptized by John" bible video from LDS.org to go along with your amazing activities. Thanks again for your hard work!

Melissa said...

Thanks for this lesson!!

Kristin said...

Thank you so much for this lesson. It is wonderful. Every lesson I have ever used from you has been amazing. Thanks for helping my husband and I fulfill our parental responsibilites. This site is a blessing to our whole family.

Kate said...

Thanks for this lesson! I was looking for something to talk about tonight, and baptism is on my mind. This will be perfect. You're the best! Hope all is going well with your move.

gary botlon said...

My third son is getting baptized in January so we are dedicating one family night each month to the subject. Thanks for the great lesson and the science experiment was a huge hit! Thanks!!!

nahidworld said...

nice post of Baptism .it is god related post.thanks to share this post.

Anonymous said...

you have such great lessons on here! I only have a 5 month old baby right now, but I'm so excited to use some of your lessons when my kids get older! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Awesome lesson plans! Thanks!

Todd and Lisa said...

Thanks for this lesson plan. We have loved all of the lesson plans we have tried so far! I'm excited to use this one because my son is getting baptized next month. You have a gift with simplifying gospel topics so that children can understand them and your lessons are so creative. Thanks for taking the time to do these and share them with others!

Stacy said...

Emilie. Your's is a gift that keeps on giving. This is an invaluable site and I am book marking it right now. Your site was referenced by another blogger http://soyouthinkyoucanlearn.blogspot.com/2013/05/sharing-time-june-week-1-baptism.html I am a working mom and so this will really assist me in preparing lessons for my kids. It is a gift of love.

Emily Grover said...

thank you so much for this plan! We are going to a family baptism this weekend and it is perfect to prepare our little guys for this!

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);