PLEASE NOTE:

1. All of my Google Docs are marked share with all.
You DO NOT need to request permission to view files.

2. If you are clicking on a link that directs you to the lds.org website and an error is occurring it means that the lds.org website has moved their files. I can only suggest trying to do a search on their site.

Testimony Tips

2.09.2010

Too often we forget to take every opportunity to bare our testimonies to our children. And what could be more important? You may have noticed that at the end of each lesson I prompt parents to bare testimony. But sometimes people feel slightly awkward doing so in a home setting.

I have trained missionaries while on my mission and church groups since returning home on how exactly to bare an effective testimony. I thought I would share some tips with my readers. Please keep in mind that these are only my opinions and suggestions.

As members of this church we hear a variety of testimonies, delivered in a variety of ways. Some weepy (that's me!), some story like, some become an epic narrative and everything in between. So let's first say what a testimony is.

The official LDS website says that a testimony is "To share knowledge received by revelation from the Holy Ghost regarding eternal gospel truths."

It does not need to be any more than that. Many members make a common mistake of using testimony time to express love for their families or to thank their church leaders. This is not the intent of bearing testimony. Church Leaders have counseled us to express our love for our family and to thank church leaders personally, not during testimonies.

A Testimony should have three main parts:

1. What you know - A statement of the eternal gospel truth you are bearing witness to.

2. How you know it - How the Holy Ghost made that truth manifest to you.

3. What that means to you - How having a knowledge of that truth has effected your life.

Let me give an example following those three steps.

(1)I want to bear my testimony about atonement of our Savior. I know He died for me and that He now lives for me as well. (2)I feel the Spirit testify of this truth to me each week as I partake of the sacrament and feel the Spirit fill my heart. (3) Knowing I have a Savior gives me hope. Hope that I can be forgiven of my sins and live with Heavenly Father again.

Do you see how following these step made my testimony so clear and bore witness to a plain and precious truth? There was no need for long drawn out stories or flowery words (although, sharing brief life experiences which brought you to a knowledge of truth is perfectly fine). David A. Bednar said, "The bearing of testimony need not be lengthy or eloquent. Spouses, parents, and children should strive to overcome any hesitancy, reluctance, or embarrassment about bearing testimony."


Identifying the Spirit

3 Nephi 11:3-7

And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn.

And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood it not.

And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.

And behold, the third time they did understand the voice which they heard; and it said unto them: Behold my Beloved Son, bin whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him.

When Christ visited the Nephites on the American Continent they heard a voice from Heaven three times before they recognized what it was. They were unfamiliar with the whisperings of the Spirit. Our children, teens and many adult members are often the same way.

As a general rule, when you are feeling the Spirit it is likely that others in the room are also. Take a moment to help your children recognize that Spirit by identifying it. My best tip here is to not be afraid of silence. When you feel Spirit enter your heart identify it right away by saying "Can you feel that feeling in this room and in your heart right now? That is the Holy Ghost telling us what we are talking about is true". Then pause for at least 5 fulls seconds. Let the Spirit fill the silence and really sink in, uninterrupted by words.

I hope those tips have helped you feel more comfortable about bearing testimony each week during Family Home Evening. I believe it is a very important part of the lesson and should never be missed.

6 Way Righteous Comments:

Maude said...

I LOVE that talk from Elder Bednar! In fact every time someone starts on a epic story during fast and testimony meeting I ask myself if it would be rude to give them a copy or if they ever read it... There is nothing more beautiful than a simple heartfelt testimony... Love this new Blog of yours Emilie!

the emily said...

Love this. I bore my testimony on Sunday and I actually had those thoughts in my mind (I think we've talked about this before?). Anyway, something I've been trying to do as the Primary music leader is pointing out when I feel the spirit. The song we were learning in January is called "I Know that My Savior Loves Me" and every time-EVERY TIME--we sang those words, I felt the Spirit enter so strongly. After we were finished I said, "Did any of you feel that? I felt warm and my body got kind of tingly. That was the Holy Ghost coming and telling me that the words I was singing were true." I think recognizing the Spirit is one of the hardest things I have ever had to learn as a Latter-day Saint. I hope I can do my small part in helping the Primary kids (and my own) recognize it when it's there.

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing the importance of bearing testimony to our children and helping them recognize the Spirit. So often, I can easily do that in a teaching moment with a calling at church or on my mission. But at home? I forget that being Mom is the most important calling I'll ever have...and it's so important to teach my kids to recognize the Spirit.
Thanks for sharing your spirit!

famr_4evr said...

I feel that I do a great job of baring my testimony, but not telling how I know it is true. I need to tell my family how I came to know the truth, especially if it is not something tangible.

Shan said...

Such great tips on baring your testimony! I love that you remind us to point out when we are feeling the Spirit, so that our children learn to recognize this feeling early.

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this. Our FHE tonight is about how to bare your testimony. I remember growing up there was this kid that when he went up to bare his testimony all he would say was what he was thankful for. I call this a thankfulmony and I don't feel it is proper for sacrament meeting. One of my daughters, who is about to be 8, has expressed a desire to go up and bare her testimony and I thought it was a good time to really teach her want a true testimony is so that she doesn't go up there and just say what she is thankful for or go blank and just stand there and get embarrassed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject.

Post a Comment

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);